Top 8 Photography Courses in Mumbai
Photography is an art that allows one to capture the world around them with the press of a shutter. From a scientific perspective, it is the act of recording light either electronically or chemically. Elliot Erwitt, who is the master of capturing ‘The Decisive Moment’ quotes “It’s about reacting to what you see, hopefully without preconception. You can find pictures anywhere. It’s simply a matter of noticing things and organising them. You just have to care about what’s around you and have a concern with humanity and human comedy.”
Top photography institutions in Mumbai
- National Institute of Photography, Mumbai
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Master’s Digital Photography School (MDPS), Mumbai
- FX School, Mumbai
- Pearl Academy, Mumbai
- St Pauls Institution of Communication Education, Mumbai
- Shari Academy of Professional Photography, Mumbai
- Harkisan Mehta Institute of Media Research, Mumbai
Details about the above-mentioned courses
1. National Institute of Photography, Mumbai
It offers various courses in photography which are as follows:
- Foundation Course
- Crash Course
- Basic Course
- Advance Course
- Diploma in Fashion Photography
- Diploma in Tabletop Photography
- Diploma in Wedding and Events Photography
- Digital Photo Editing Techniques
- Workshop on Fashion Lightings
The fee for each course is different varying from 8000 to 15000 INR.
2. JD Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai
It offers diploma in Fashion Photography which is a course of 3 months. 25 seats are available for this course. The Institute is highly known for its premiere faculty and services. It also has good infrastructure. With its tie-ups with the international schools, it is one institute to look out for.
3. Master’s Digital Photography School (MDPS, Mumbai)
It offers 4 courses which are as follows:
- Crash Course
- Basic Course
- Advance Course
- Diploma in Wedding
- Diploma in Fashion
The fee for each course is different. Diploma in Wedding and Fashion are relatively more expensive than all the others.
4. FX School, Mumbai
It offers diploma course in photography for 12 months. It helps the student to acquire practical skills necessary to become a professional photographer. The Institute is highly known for its premiere faculty and services. It also has good infrastructure. With this course, the student can gain in-depth knowledge of the working of DSLRs, studio lighting, outdoor photography and image editing techniques.
5. Pearl Academy, Mumbai
It offers an 11 months diploma program which imparts skills pertaining to the art of professional photography. The program consists of 12 modules, spanning 3 trimesters. The students will be trained by eminent and award-winning photographers who will mentor them to develop their own signature style. The Institute is highly known for its premiere faculty and services. It also has good infrastructure. This course offers hands-on international experience. A panel of esteemed Guest Lecturers will help students to understand the commercial aspects of photography.
6. St Pauls Institution of Communication Education, Mumbai
It offers a certificate course in Digital Photography. The Institute is highly known for its premiere faculty and services. It also has good infrastructure. Certificates are awarded on completion of assignments and adequate attendance (80%). Fees for the weekday batch are 9200 INR and that of the weekend batch is 11000 INR.
7. Shari Academy of Professional Photography, Mumbai
The photography Courses offered by this institute include:
- Master Craftsmanship Diploma in Professional Photography and Digital Imaging
- Diploma in Fashion and Portrait Photography
- Diploma in Digital Fine Art Photography
- Apprentice Diploma in Digital Studio Portrait and Events Photography
- Diploma in Photo Journalism
- Conceptual People Photography
8. Harkisan Mehta Institute of Media Research, Mumbai
The Institute is highly known for its premiere faculty and services. It also has good infrastructure. It offers 1-year Diploma Course in Photography. Students, who have successfully passed their HSC or equivalent to HSC from a recognised college, are eligible to apply. Students who have missed their academic year or have taken a drop are also eligible to apply for the Institute.
Photography is something that involves the overall skill of an individual. It involves patience hard work and dedication to capture a perfect moment on camera. A photographer’s main weapon is his camera, without which it is nothing. He puts all his heart and soul into capturing the perfect moment in his camera to be remembered for ages to come. Such is the beauty of Photography.
Written by Rishabh Narula